- God will raise up prophets "from among " the people.
- God will put the words in their mouth;
- The Prophet will then speak all of the words God gives.
- God requires the person listening to take heed to the words - because they will be held responsible.
- Prophets can "presume" to speak words they think are from God but are really their own ; Prophets can speak in the name of other Gods:
- The result will be the same - they shall die.
- The standard to measure a prophet is simple: If they speak in the name of the Lord and the thing doe not comes to pass...do not fear that prophet as a communicator of God's word. They speak presumptuously or in error or in a worst case, falsely on behalf of other Gods.
Later, this will lead to what Bible scholars call "prophetic speech", a manner of speech that is adopted to demonstrate their authority and position as a prophet of God. As one reads the prophets over and over again the preface will be "Thus saith the Lord". This is the "prophets formula."